What type of paste material(s) would you like to see 3D printed?

It would be interesting to extrude silver clay.

http://www.riogrande.com/Product/PMC-PRO-Silver-Clay-50g/100768

Thanks! This extruder should be able to handle that just fine, although we haven’t yet tested it.

If the printer could extrude the silver clay (or other metallic clay) the applications would be incredible. From making jewelry, to electrical components, to medical component builds.

OK, we made an order for the silver clay paste that you linked to. Now we just need to make friends with someone who has a kiln.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Let me just fantasize…say someone has an aneurysm (like my 87 y/o uncle had leak yesterday). Thats a huge and risky surgery. Apparently the Mayo clinic can design one, which takes 3 weeks. Many patients don’t have 3 weeks. So a local doctor custom designs a ‘stent’ in plastic or silver or platinum, precisely prints it out, and 3 weeks is reduced to hours which could save a life. That’s a dream, but appears to be something that is possible.

Yes, I think that would be a very exciting use case! It’s safe to say that 3D printing will be transformational, we’re just waiting to see all the ways that it is.

How about a biocompatible hydrogel for cell culture like agarose for example? I’d be curious, given Charles’ background whether he thinks discov3ry could be used for ultra-low budget tissue engineering.

Hi James,

Yes, the Discov3ry should be very compatible for tissue engineering materials like agarose. The trick in the chemistry will be finding the right balance between cell compatibility and structural integrity for the print. But budget tissue engineering was definitely an area we thought where the Discov3ry could make a difference. (One side note, the syringes will come sterilized in individual packaging, but for tissue engineering applications, you would need to sterilize the tubing, connectors, and tips.)

Cheers,
Charles

Some survey responses from our Kickstarter backers when asked what they would like to print with using the Discov3ry: THE 10 MOST ANTICIPATED PASTES FOR 3D PRINTING

3d printing with clay! :slight_smile:

Silicone (not the hardware-store caulk-in-a-tube type). Lots of interesting things could be done with a silicone that retains its dimensional accuracy; however the cure time is an issue unless a catalyst could be added/applied to control the material since it is typically fairly low viscosity. I would like to discuss potential uses/issues with this if anyone else is interested.

hey frugal
I’d like to try print with silicone once my unit arrives but don’t know to much about it actually.
one thing i can think is using it cold to keep it hard, stuff is a pain in a tube when its cold.
i think to get the viscosity right it might needs to be mixed with a soluble binder or evaporative liquid and printed in a cold chamber.
just random thoughs.
would be interested in it as i need a large water tight gaskety hinge thing for a project.

printers have been turned off for months now cuz the cold and don’t want to print plastics without good ventilation, so i’m really looking forward to receiving the discov3ry this February!

edit: what kind of silicone would you use for cooking mitt or pot holders and is there any kind of curing involved? would like to try that first.

ordered this silicone : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CA5VY3U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hope i’ll post results somewhere after i try it.

cor5151,
Over the years I’ve used almost all of Smooth-On’s products but nothing has a rapid enough cure time for 3D printing when used as intended. The closest I’ve seen in terms of rapid curing is their Body Double Fast Set silicone. It cures in about 5 minutes (or less when used as intended - on skin to take a mold). But the mechanical characteristics aren’t what you’d want for most applications.

I’m still working on materials for multiple medical applications and will update this forum if/when I get close to something useful.

Good luck.

Ya the smooth on was impossible to print with, and i imagine any 2 part mix would be with a single syringe. cured in the tube but i tried printing it into warm water and that was the closest i came to making it print. i do see it being possible to mod the extruder to a double syringe for 2 part extruding then printing a premixer for the tube before the nozzle.
i worked witha bit of 2 part epoxy’s for work, joint filling. and some of those cure very fast.

the smooth on has come in handy casting clay things i’ve printed though.
i’ve also found that clay that can sometimes expand the tubing a lot and causes extrusion problems. i’ll post the solution later.

Welcome to Structur3D's 3D Printing Materials Community!

Real life project. Soft (silicone?) materials contains metal powders that change electrical properties on compression. Use on railroad ties to detect pressure of trains passing?

Cool idea! Stuff like that could also apply toward smart clothing, smart footwear, perhaps even sport equipment.

Okay I am planning on getting a paste extruder. I was wonder if marshmallow or dough are in the realm of possibility.

what about Marshmallows? Marshmallows require to sit for 4 hours so 3D printing seems like a good idea.

Cement paste or mortar with very fine aggregates

We have tried color changing drywall compound, printed pretty nicely. I believe there is a video on our yt channel.
Found it:

Problem was the final product was very brittle, as expected. Likely due to weak binder to hold the particles together.