What type of paste material(s) would you like to see 3D printed?

In the Structur3D Lab we have successfully 3D printed with the following materials on the Discov3ry extruder: Silicone (3 variants), Polyurethane (2), Latex, Wood Filler, Natural Clay, DryDex Drywall compound, Royal Frosting, and Nutella.

We are constantly trying to print new materials, following our slogan of “Extrude. Experiment. Explore.” If you have any amazing suggestions of new materials to explore with the Discov3ry, please let us know!

We will feature any cool (and successful) results here!

Electrically conductive material.

We actually just received a sample of Electronic Paint (paste) from Bare Conductive. They are the draw-a-circuit people over at bareconductive.com. Stay tuned for our (hopefully) bright results! Extrude. Experiment. Explore.

How about a different slant on Photolithography? e.g. using existing 3D printer equipped with Discov3ry to “print” a flow-able material, even a material that requires relatively high temperature, then quickly solidifying with a light source.

What about soldering paste? Print a circuit, heat it on a skillet, done. Also, of course, for surface mounting.

2 improvements:

1. Being able to use warm “pastes” that stay warm until reaching the output nozzle (needs some kind of thermic insulation/electric warmer for the output tube)

2. Being able to blend 2 or 3 pastes right before exiting the output nozzle, modulating proportions of each paste (something like 3 tubes joining at the output nozzle)

3. Would make it possible to use chocolate, wax, cheap melted plastics pellets instead of expensive filament, or recycled plastic chips

4. Would make it possible to blend a composite material like resin+hardener or to blend same materials with 3 basic colors in different proportions, allowing to print in full spectrum colors.

I really like number 2!
For a known and constant proportions, a dual syringe can be used

Is it possible to print gypsum?

Airdry hobby clay or paperclay require no firing may have to wet the material a bit but that be the type of material I like to see tryed. www.paperclay.com is one example.

Absolutely. Both heating and mixing are items that we would are considering for future iterations.

Wow, #2 is actually very brilliant when you consider using various pigments.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Actually, using a dual cartdrige system with exactly the same material has its own advantage.

You start using cartdrige #1 at 100% flow, #2 at 0% (“no mix”).
When #1 is nearly empty you progressively decrease its flow and increase #2’s until the #1 is 0% and #2 at 100%.

Then you can change #1 with no flow interruption.

Multiple Extruders

Wow, @akka69, I can see that we’re really going to appreciate your participation on this forum. It may be the case that one of my team mates has considered this, but I (less product focused as I am), had not.

This actually addresses an inquiry I had from a chocolate manufacturer earlier today.

To be sure, our current focus is on the basic add-on extruder product, but in the future we do hope to be able to address the advanced use case.

Sugru! :smiley:

Concrete! Use a magnetic stirrer in the reservoir?

wow, that looks like some really interesting stuff! I might reach out and see if we can get some sugru to test with, although there are obviously 1,001 useful things you could 3D print with this. I’m curious what you’d do with it?

Super cool. A magnetic stirrer is probably a pretty next level hack to work out!

Yup! Sugru is great stuff, although, I’ve heard that you can achieve a similar result with Silicone caulk and corn starch. Only problem is you’d either have to mix it in your extruder or mix it up prior to loading the extruder. No idea how you’d clean up either, so it may be that you’d need a new syringe every time.

What I’d do with it?? A million ideas come to mind but you could print a pattern in Sugru onto a metal plate and, believe me, it would never come off! The stuff sticks like crazy!

Oh yeah. Another problem: It’s pretty thick. A little more than day-old Play Doh. Think that would be a problem??

Cheers!

Andy

Oh yeah! We saw that just the other day Oogoo. It does look like a mess to mix though, but we’d really like to give it a shot.

A great test for our machine.

It would be useful for sculptors to have a print in a good modeling wax. It wouldn’t need to have same resolution as what is needed for investment casting. This way a sculptor could do multiple prints from a file as a starting point and then modify each wax by hand to create multiple unique pieces. This would be also useful for designers who want to do a physical print in and recyclable material (wax) to demonstrate to a client or to test how ergonomic it is and then scan the modified object again to create a digital file.

I’d love to see metal clay. It seems like a very interesting idea, and I’d rather experiment with it by adding an extruder to an existing printer rather than buying another 3D printer.

And these guys have an interesting idea of using UV resin and extruding with it, rather than using DLP or laser. I’m not entirely sure that it’s a good idea for extrusion, but it seems fairly easy to try, given what you’re doing already.