Replicator 2 + Discov3ry Integration Wiki & Discussion Thread

This is a wiki post, meaning any user trust level 1 or higher can contribute.

If you are not yet tl1 or have a question/comment/concern, please post below.

We have successfully completed the integration with a Flashforge creator pro here.

##PREPARING THE REPLICATOR 2X

##WIRING THE DISCOV3RY
[Img] Where to access the electronics board containing the extruder motor driver(s).
Connector, cable, or wiring steps necessary for integration to electronics board.
Wiring schematic. What are the matching colour wiring pairs for the Discov3ry stepper motor compared to your printer? (Black, Green, Blue, Red pair with what?
[Img] The exact location of the connection for the extruder motor driver.
Please note all extra steps for wiring here if the integration for your 3D printer is more involved.

###FIRMWARE UPDATES
Describe any firmware changes necessary for the integration process. This could include settings like disabling the cold extrusion code, adjusting the EEPROM settings for the Discov3ry (typically ~10-100x default settings), hard coding XYZ offsets for a new nozzle, etc.

###MOUNTING THE DISCOV3RY TIP
[Img] The mounting system you have utilized (link to .stl file if applicable)
Other hardware needed in the mounting process (Links to McMasterCarr are golden)
[Img] How to install the mount on the 3D printer (Include Tools required)
[Img] How to attach Discov3ry tip to the mount. (Is it adjustable? Any other special features that should be known?)

###TESTING DISCOV3RY
What are the ideal slicer parameters that you have found for a specific material? Layer height, speed, infill, etc. Please share a configuration file that you have successfully utilized, preferably using the slicer that is applicable to your 3D printer.

###FINAL PICTURES
[Img Gallery] Successful prints – test prints or otherwise.
[Img] Printer and Discov3ry integrated together

###LINKS

About the Makerbot category

Maybe I’ve just missed the info somewhere, but it would be great if there was a quick guide from Structur3D showing installation on various printers.

In the meantime, anyone using it on a Makerbot Rep 2? Can you suggest some steps, tips, anything?

Thanks in advance!
Nick

We are working on providing as many tutorials as we can. But we don’t have one of each of the 500+ printers on the market, currently. So we are looking to crowdsource some of these tutorials through our customers. If you are the first to write up a detailed tutorial for the Makerbot Replicator 2 and share it on our forum, we will send you your choice of a free cartridge pack or t-shirt.

Some of the posted suggestions for other Makerbot models might work for the Replicator 2.

Also – we know for certain that the 5th Gen Makerbot printers will not work with the Discov3ry.

Cheers,
Charles

Thanks for the reply, Charles! I do understand that it’s difficult to cover these 500+ printers but I think it would be helpful if you guys started putting out installation tuts on the more popular printers on the market and start working your way down the list. 3D Hubs puts out a great report every month - https://www.3dhubs.com/trends - see “Printer Model Distribution”. Granted, it’s info pulled from their own community. Short of you guys trying to gather all this info on Structur3D customers, you could get an idea of the more popular printers based on info from sources like 3D Hubs.

I’ll check out the other Makerbot threads again and see if I can figure something out. It’s just a bummer to see this piece of machinery sit like a paperweight for the last few weeks since there is no specific documentation on connecting it properly, especially after the long wait to receive it through the Kickstarter campaign. Hope someone works it out soon. Until then, I’ll be tinkering.

Nick

Thanks for the feedback, Nick. That is a good suggestion to look at the top printers on 3D Hubs. As it stands now, we ourselves have integrated with the Ultimaker 2, the Felix 3.0, SeeMeCNC Orion, RepRap, Omni3D Pi, and the Dremel (Flashforge) printer. In addition, our customers have integrated with the Printrbot Simple Metal, a couple different delta-style printers, and the Makibox. So there’s a fairly decent selection to start with.

We do intend to try to put together a tutorial for one or more Makerbot printers in the near future. Of course, if you beat us to it, please let us know!

Cheers,
Charles

Just curious if you made any progress with the Rep 2. I’m not a strong enough Tinker’er to be able to figure this out on my own, so, like you, I’m hoping for a tutorial for the Rep 2. :slight_smile:

Things are progressing well. We have successfully replicated the workaround with the Makerbot and Flashforge Creator Pro.

I will be publishing a tutorial over the next week or so, which will be ok for a mid-level Tinker’er. We hope to sell a plug and play fix for this in the coming months for those who dont want to play with any wires.

Happy Making!

So very excited about this development. Looking forward to the tutorial! I don’t mind tinkering with wires, just want to make sure I get it right.

I set the Discov3ry up like you showed us in the replicator 2x (I think Replicator 2 and 2x have the same board) video. There is a wierd noice while the Replicator is running the start-up script. I also tried to run the stepper motor by using the filament load/unload script. Ther is just the sound of the motor but it doesn’t move anything (watch the below posted video). The DRV8825 Stepper Motor Controller went fast hot ( I wasn’t anymore able to touch it) while I was running the filament load/unload script. What shall I do?

It works now, one cable was wrong. But there is still the problem with the hot stepper motor driver. I also tried another one, both were to hot to touch after 40 second of usage. Probably the motor current is to high, both drivers should be able to handle the 1.7 A current of the motor. My voltmeter can’t measure that high current, that’s why I don’t know what exactly happened. The maximum speed that I reached is low (1-2 rpm) and there is still a loud noise. Any ideas? When do you post a tutorial for the replicators?