Prusa i3 + Discov3ry Integration Wiki & Discussion Thread

This is a wiki post, meaning any user trust level 1 or higher can contribute.

#Printers
##Prusa i3
###WIRING THE DISCOV3RY

[Img] Where to access the electronics board containing the extruder motor driver(s).
Connector, cable, or wiring steps necessary for integration to electronics board.
Wiring schematic. What are the matching colour wiring pairs for the Discov3ry stepper motor compared to your printer? (Black, Green, Blue, Red pair with what?
[Img] The exact location of the connection for the extruder motor driver.
Please note all extra steps for wiring here if the integration for your 3D printer is more involved.

###FIRMWARE UPDATES

Describe any firmware changes necessary for the integration process. This could include settings like disabling the cold extrusion code, adjusting the EEPROM settings for the Discov3ry (typically ~10-100x default settings), hard coding XYZ offsets for a new nozzle, etc.

###MOUNTING THE DISCOV3RY TIP

[Img] The mounting system you have utilized (link to .stl file if applicable)
Other hardware needed in the mounting process (Links to McMasterCarr are golden)
[Img] How to install the mount on the 3D printer (Include Tools required)
[Img] How to attach Discov3ry tip to the mount. (Is it adjustable? Any other special features that should be known?)

###TESTING DISCOV3RY

What are the ideal slicer parameters that you have found for a specific material? Layer height, speed, infill, etc. Please share a configuration file that you have successfully utilized, preferably using the slicer that is applicable to your 3D printer.

###FINAL PICTURES

[Img Gallery] Successful prints – test prints or otherwise.
[Img] Printer and Discov3ry integrated together

###LINKS

About the RepRap category

Does anybody have an adapter design for a Prusa i3? Or any design for that matter to see how the tips are supposed to be held in place? I’m very surprised that, with all the thought that went into this device, it did not occur to you to have a few simple designs that could be modified???

Based on the survey responses we received, our customers have a diverse selection of printers – and with over 500 printer manufacturers out there, we felt there were too many variables to start with.

For our adapter on our Felix 3.0, we simply used high density plastic blocks. I drilled a hole small enough for the tube on one side, and a counter sink hole on the other side for the tip connector. It took me about 3 hours to make the adapter this way.

Hi Charles, Thank you for your prompt reply. I understand about the crazy number of 3D printers available. But considering that we ALL have the ability to 3D print things, a simple example STL design would work. Most of us could take it from there and create a library of adapters to share on Thingiverse. Obviously, some have already created 3D printed models but I can’t seem to find even one to base my design on. Having to drill holes when we all the 3D printers that can easily print objects with holes already in them is a bit silly.

Thank you for the suggestion. One thing that still limits us from doing some of these things is that we are a small company. All of our resources have been focused on shipping the Kickstarter units and subsequent pre-orders, and we’ve been working to better scale the manufacturing side of things.

That being said, we also have very talented customers, who might be in the position to make such a contribution to the community. We are happy to provide incentives for these kinds of contributions, i.e. full detailed integration tutorials for “X printer” (first time tutorials per printer model get the incentive); generic STL files for adapters; and so on.

If you design such an STL file for the Prusa i3 that can be modified, and share it with the community here we will send you a choice of a free cartridge pack or a t-shirt. If you write up a full and detailed integration tutorial AND provide the adapter STL file, we will send you both a t-shirt and a cartridge pack.

Hey there…
well three years has passed :slight_smile:
I have your extruder. new straight out of the box
I have two printers - Prusa i3 mk2 and prusa i3 mk3
I want to make history with this extruder and print amazing stuff
Where do i begin ? I don’t know where to mount it cause i don’t have ant stl of it, plus, these wires - i would be happy to hear where exactly to connect them, as many things has changed since then.
anywone has any experience with my printers ?
thanks !

Hey Shed,
Super! Do you have one of our bare-wire units? Or do you have a newer model?

For mounting the nozzle, it should be fairly easy. You just need to make a mount that fits the gantry of your Prusa and allows for the tubing/nozzle of the Discov3ry. For our first nozzle holder, we got a plastic block and drilled a hole in it. You can experiment and customize as you desire.

Cheers,
Charles

hey Charles :slight_smile:yes, i mannaged to connect it to the machine.
Can you please tell me how to control on the firmware stuff ?
how to calibrate the steps/mm ? and how to insert all your codes into my slic3r.
I have the rambo miniboard and i am using prusa mk2s
thanks !

hey there. a little update.

I have someone amazing who helps me with everything, he put all the relevant codes on the slicer

I am using slic3r prusa edition and printing through pronterface

The last thing that is missing -
how to configure the e-steps ?
also, i uploaded a video so you can see some troubles I have with the extrusion
**the allen key is inserted in the plastic printer part BUT not through the rod, I assumed that this is correct, as if i put the allen key through the metal rod, it will not be able to rotate at all

Just wanted to check that you’ve got everything resolved. I seem to remember our email conversation and that we got the issue resolved, but I couldn’t find the thread when I searched my email, so I wanted to be sure all was good.

Hey Charles,
Thank you for your interest, i got everything working but took some time off from it’ as i have a lot of stuff to do.
I took a peek at your link with the guy who did vase mode, that looks promising.
As soon as i get back to it, i will send you updates.
I built a temporary mount for the prusa extruder. if i will be successful, i will remove the extruder all together and build another one.
I am adding an stl file to thingiverse (will take 24 hours to being published as I am a new user), maybe it will be helpful for someone.
Thanks again for your interest,
Sagiv

prusa remporary quick mount.STL (205.6 KB)

Thanks for the update, and the mount looks great! Thanks for sharing with the community!