Problem with stl file in cura

Hey all,
I have a problem. I have a stl file. When I upload in Cura, it loads horizontally and cura displays some printing time and also “layers” view also shows some printing. But this horizontal position is not correct. It has to lay vertically. When I try to lay it flat then cura shows 0 minutes and layer view does not show any printing.
Any advice, suggestion is really appreciated.
Sahar
grid.stl (1.0 MB)
grid 1.stl (653.5 KB)

Hi Sahar,

It appears the resolution of your stl file doesn’t match your printing parameters. If I load the file in Cura and set the nozzle size for 0.4 mm, as well as adjust the layer height, bottom layer thickness, and shell thickness – it gives me the exact problem you describe: 0 minutes and no layers in the layer view.

However, if I set the nozzle size for 0.1 mm and make all the other appropriate parameter adjustments, I get a print time of 6 hours and 45 minutes. (It does take about 4 minutes to complete the slicing and give the time estimate.)

The smallest nozzle for filament you have is .250 mm, and the smallest nozzle for paste 0.150 mm. Either of those might work. Please keep in mind if you are using the 0.150 mm paste nozzle, your material viscosity needs to be low enough to be printable (i.e., clay won’t work).

Thank you very much.
Regards,
Sahar

Hey again,
I am afraid that I cannot further reduce the viscosity of my ink. What will happen if I input in Cura that I am using 0.15mm paste nozzle but actually use 0.6mm nozzle. Can I work around in some way?

Thanks

If you slice with a 0.15 mm nozzle, but then print with a 0.6 mm nozzle, that might work in some cases where you have a simple print (e.g., an array of lines spaced appropriately). Aside from that, you would likely encounter problems with the print, because the slicing algorithm will set the extrusion and print speed as if you were actually using a 0.15 mm nozzle. But substituting the much larger nozzle would mean the extrusion rate would be insufficient.

Additionally, the movement paths of your print will be based on a 0.15 mm nozzle. So if your walls are 1.5 mm you could expect to have 10 printed lines side by side to make up the width of the wall. Now if you use the 0.6 mm nozzle, you physically will get 10 x 0.6 – 6 mm walls! And for your stl design, that means you will get no small pores, but rather a solid square plate.