Introducing Discov3ry - a universal paste extruder expansion for desktop 3D printers

We’re creating an add-on extruder to enable almost any desktop 3D printer to print a whole new range of paste-like materials. Home based 3D printing is currently limited to printing plastics that are brittle, costly and you can’t even eat them!

We unveiled our product as a Startup Sponsor at the 2014 Bay Area Maker Faire.

Maker Faire Bay Area

With our technology you can get more fun, more use, and more mileage out of the 3D printer you already own. Discover the possibilities of printing with pastes including:

Silicone

Icing Sugar

Wood Filler

We’ve also printed ceramic, clay and polyurethane! We can’t wait to get our products into the hands of makers and designers to see what they can do.

Some possible applications include:

• Flexible silicone bracelets and other jewelry
  • Soluble molds and supports made with icing sugar
  • Cake decorations
  • Gaskets and o-rings
  • Pottery
  • Many things we haven’t yet thought of!

Giga Om even wrote about us a few months ago!

Please sign up to find out when we launch our campaign, and we’d love to get feedback and suggestions as we go!

I’m very interested in your project, and have some questions:

1. Resolution … as in layer height. I’m sure it varies by material, so I’d like to know best & worst resolutions by material.
  2. Overhang angle. This too probably varies by material. Best & worst ??
  3. Extrusion width. Seems this could be determined with nozzle diameter … correct? What are high & low limits?
  4. Time & complexity to change from ABS fff hot extrusion to Discov3ry system. And to return to fff ? Specifically, for the MakerGear M2 (http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2)
  5. Do you/will you have extrudate retraction capability? The Oreo printing video suggests the need.

Hey @Lateralg, thanks for reaching out!

1. We are getting down to 0.2mm with standard hardware store Silicones (~0.4mm nozzle). To give perspective, for the icing sugar we use a nozzle a little over 1mm and are getting layer heights of around 0.6mm. We have been pushing to showcase as many materials as possible, this means we havent had the chance to test the limits of them all yet.
  2. Silicone again has given the best overhang, we have printed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:8978 many time successfully.
  3. Witdth is determined by nozzle opening and viscosity and ability of the material to hold its shape, some material will “slump” somewhat after being deposited. Imagine printing with water, it would spread very quickly compared to something like silly putty. The nozzle diameters available vary from about 0.05mm up to 2mm allowing the ability to print many different viscosities.
  4. If your M2 currently only has 1 extruder connected and uses RAMPS electronics, there is an Extruder #2 bay waiting for the Discov3ry to be plugged in. So if you can mount the Discov3ry tip in some way along side the ABS tip, theoretically you could print both at the same time (this is untested, but on our to-do).
  5. This is very critical and depends on the compressibility of the paste material. There may be some time delay, but we do play to allow retraction.

Thanks for the questions, please let us know if you have any others. I look forward to seeing what you will print!

this made me decide on buy a 3d printer, i’ve been printing with a company online for a year now, and didn’t want a affordable home printer because everything had to have upward designs and i was doing cartoon characters. some of the poses wouldn’t print on a home print, but for sometime now i’ve been think of microbots and have been looking for latex. to build skins for the microbot, so to jump on this as a future thing gave me a reason to buy a home printer.
it would be so cool if you had the skeleton. of these character for a animatronics scence. have a little code and circuit knowledge. see pic well can’t upload for now