Contoller Board recommendation For using the Discov3ry Paster Extruder

I have the Discov3ry Paster Extruder but have so far been unable to use it since I have been unable to integrate it into my Markerbot electronics. It has been sitting in a box for quite a while. I am in the process of assembling a user built CNC which is capable of 3D printing. ( Mostly Printed CNC on Thingverse or https://www.vicious1.com/assembly/). I am at the point where I need to select a controller board that is compatible with the Discov3ry Paster Extruder.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a controller board which is directly compatible with the extruder which I will not have to jump through hoops to make work. I do not want to buy a complete new 3D printer to make use of the extruder. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hey! awesome choice with the MPCNC! never put my discov3ry on it but i put a extruder,dwalt611,and a 3w laser.
I say go with a Ramps1.4 board with drv8825 drivers for the nema’s. super easy and its what the mpcnc was built with by vicious.
I’ve ran my discov3ry on ramp’s 1.4 on my rostock, pretty straight forward and just a solid cheap reprap board.

Thanks for the advice. From reading the forum here I was under the impression that the Reprap boards could not be used without modification for the Discov3ry extruder or at least upgrading to a higher amp stepper driver. Did you have to any modification to your Reprap electronics to get it to work?

you’ll be fine with any driver with the gear ratio on the stepper but the DRV8825 is the best for cheap amps, just buy a few extra and put on the heatsinks and have fans blowing on it, you are going to want to do this the mpcnc anyways! specially if you’re going to be milling with it.

Bought controller yet?

Asking as I’d recommend taking a look at mks base controllers.
They are sort of integrated arduino mega and ramps, just much better quality, and you get rid of all the fiddley wires from the ramps.
All heat problems are also gone, as they use quality PCB wih much better heat dissipation.

Hi…i am a new user here.As per my knowledge you should use Ramps1.4 board with drv8825 drivers for the nema’s. super easy and its what the mpcnc was built with by vicious. In my case discov3ry on ramp’s 1.4 on my rostock, pretty straight forward and just a solid cheap reprap board.

smt assembly

thank you guys a lot for your advices! i really appreciate as i found it all very useful. was wondering if you’re still around as i might have other questions to ask and i would appreciate if we could chat! thanks